of the castle started on 1431.
The Lord Sozen Yamana, who was the lord of Izushi castle, ordered the construction of the castle in order to protect the Tajima region from agressions of Harima and Tanba regions.
At this time Takeda was an earthen castle. After the lord Yamana, 7 generations of Otagaki family became lord of the castle.
In 1577, the Tajima was attacked by the daimyo Hideyoshi Toyotomi. The younger brother of Hideyoshi, Hidenaga Toyotomi, was then institued to the head of the castle. After Toyotomi, the next lords of the castle were Shigeharu Kuwayama and Hirohide Akamatsu, with the latter being the final castle lord
The stonewalled castle was completed around the time of Hirohide Akamatsu. The wall was built by piling up stones as they were in their natural shape and form. It may have seemed rough, but it was very sturdy and it is the only part of the castle we can still see today. This technique is called Nozurazumi (the mame of « Anozumi » is also usually employed and come from the stonemasonry group “Ano” who did the wall).
During the Sekigahara Battle which took place in 1600, Hirohide Akamatsu joined the West Forces of Toyotomi to fight the East Forces of Tokugawa.
However, after the victory of the East Forces, Akamatsu switched to the Tokugawa side and participated in the attack of the Tottori Castle.
Akamatsu was accused of setting the castle town on fire, and he was forced to commit suicuide by Seppuku.
After his death, the Takeda Castle has been abandoned.
The castle is divided in four parts: North part (Kita Senjo), the South part (Minami Senjo), the West part (Hanayashiki) and the Center where the highest spot (Tenshudai) is situated at 353.7 meters. From the sky, the castle which spans a wide area of the mountain, looks like a bird that spreads out its wings. The area measures 400m from north to south and 100m from east to west.
From the front, the Takeda Castle and the Kannon Temple Castle (which does not exist anymore and was situated on the nearby mountain) reminded us of a sleeping tiger. As a result, the castle is also named “Torafusujo”, the castle of the sleeping tiger.
During the Sekigahara Battle which took place in 1600, Hirohide Akamatsu joined the West Forces of Toyotomi to fight the East Forces of Tokugawa. However, after the victory of the East Forces, Akamatsu switched to the Tokugawa side and participated in the attack of the Tottori Castle. Akamatsu was accused of setting the castle town on fire, and he was forced to commit suicuide by Seppuku. After his death, the Takeda Castle has been abandoned.
|1431||Possible commencement of the construction of the castle by Sozen Yamana|
|1443||The completion of the castle
Sozen Yamana placed Mitsukage Otagaki as first lord of the castle
|1465||Kagechika Otagaki became the second lord of the Castle|
|1479||Munetomo Otagaki became the third lord of the Castle|
|1492||Toshitomo Otagaki became the fourth lord of the Castle|
|1521||Munetoshi Otagaki became the fifth lord of the Castle|
|1538||Tomonobu Otagaki became the sixth lord of the Castle|
|1569|| Agression of Tajima area by Hideyoshi Toyotomi.
Eighteen Castles were sieged between the Ikuno Castle and the Konosumi-Yama Castle.
|1570||Terunobu Otagaki became the seventh lord of the Castle|
|1577||After restoring the peace in Harima area, Hideyoshi Toyotomi started the recapture of Tajima area with his stepbrother, Hidenaga Toyotomi.|
|1578||Hideyoshi and Hidenaga, took possession of Takeda Castle once again.|
|1580||Hideyoshi attacked Tajima. The domination of the castle by the Otagaki Family came to its end. Shigeharu Kuwayama became the new lord of the castle.|
|1585||Shigeharu has been forced to leave the castle to take the head of Wakayama castle. Hirohide Akamatsu took his place as lord of Takeda Castle.|
|1600||Battle of Sekigahara. Hirohide Akamatsu fought on the West side together with Hideyoshi Toyotomi. After the defeat of the West side, Akamatsu was ordered to take the control of the Tottori Castle. Accused to set fire on the castle down, he was forced to commit suicide by seppuku. Abandon of the castle.|
|1876||Tajima area was linked to Hyogo prefecture.|
|1943||Takeda Castle became a protected historical monument|
|1956||Beginning of restoration project of the stone walls.|
|1971||Setting up of a project for the control of the castle’s maintenance|
|1980||The restoration of the stones wall has been accomplished|
|2006||Takeda castle is listed among the 100 Fine castles of Japan|